Sunday, February 27, 2011

#27: Royal Terns

I've been a pen-and-ink mode lately, so here are some quick pen sketches of the Royal Tern.



We saw these in North Carolina, all over the coast, cruising over the water, plunge-diving down into it to catch fish, and hanging out in big groups on pier posts, always managing to look like they were fighting a strong gale as they were just sitting there. They have deep reddish-orange bills, and that black cap only extends all across the forehead when they are in breeding mode, so says Sibley's.

I can't think of anything more enlightening to say about these birds. Just glad I got at least 2 outta the jar this month! :-)

2 comments:

  1. It feels strange to say this, but my favorite thing about this drawing is the pier posts. They looks so solid and straight!

    I am always amazed to see birds dive into water. It seems so miraculous that they can exist in air AND water, like faeries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you didn't tear this out of a book? It looks like it should be in an EB White story. I keep coming back and staring. The diving guy looks like the blur of a guy diving. How do you DO that?

    ReplyDelete