Sunday, April 10, 2011

#28 - Pileated Woodpecker



Back to it. Here is a crazy, joker-faced Pileated Woodpecker, done with my latest toys - water soluble oil pastels - on a thick gray sheet of mi tientes paper.

We have only seen these huge birds in North Carolina around my sister's place on the coast. They are loud and destructive, but look how cool they are with that mask! They are apparently the largest woodpecker in North America. I guess you might get p.o.'d at them if they were digging holes in your nice tall trees around your home, but I don't think I could do anything but stare at them in amazement.

If you have never heard one, click here for great audio courtesy of Cornell Ornithography Lab.

4 comments:

  1. This one speaks to me. Maybe because my kids are loud & destructive too.

    Another beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fancy.

    A mask, big hair and a frilly collar. Should be at home in the south.

    I'm glad to see you kicking with new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has great textures, and the red and brown colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan..."I guess you might get p.o.'d at them if they were digging holes in your nice tall trees around your home, but I don't think I could do anything but stare at them in amazement."

    I think of those sharp beaked black birds that put holes in my grass lawn. I don't know the name of this species , but I know you and Randy do. At first the birds really p'd me off. After I discovered they were eating ants and other insects, I considered the few holes to be a comparable trade off.

    ReplyDelete