Wednesday, January 18, 2012

#30: Carolina Wren



Again, I feel like I'm cheating my own goal, because I drew this quick little sketch last December as I was mulling over some ideas for graphic designs that only bird geeks would get. This one is of a Carolina Wren, which sings "Tea Kettle Tea Kettle Tea Kettle." Although if you ask me, it actually sings it backwards, "Kettle Tea Kettle Tea Kettle Tea..." I had all sorts of other ideas for designs based on what birds "say" when they call or sing - maybe I'll resurrect those ideas this year, who knows?

Anyway, the little Carolina Wren we have only seen in - gasp - North Carolina. Very cute little bird with the unmistakable wren-like stripe along the head. They always seemed very busy, twitching about on tree limbs upside down and every which way, foraging for bugs and gathering twigs for nests.

2 comments:

  1. Suzy, I'm very glad to see you posting again. It's reassuring to me that you are not working all morning BEFORE you go to work. I think we should try to see the COSTA RICA WREN next..wonder where we might find one?
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this style a lot.

    What is the actual size? media?

    It looks like a wood-cut even. I wouldn't describe this as a sketch; it looks very finished.

    ReplyDelete