Friday, December 31, 2010

#22: Brown Creeper


First of all, a humble thank you to the sweet people who kept checking in on this half-neglected blog and sent me encouragement throughout the year. I think I'll lower my sights a bit this coming year, and maybe try to squeeze in a bird a week, or perhaps 2 a month.

Here is 2010's final posting: the appropriately-named Brown Creeper. These nimble little things are such fun to watch as they literally creep up and down the trees, perfectly camouflaged so that they almost look like little pieces of bark jerkily cascading along the trunks. They tend to be solo, making them even more difficult to spot. We've seen them mostly in southern Arizona, around Ramsey Canyon and Patagonia Lake, but Randy actually took this picture of one at Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior this past March. A nice, fun little bird to wrap up the first year of the Bird Jar. This is mechanical pencil on 8x10 sketch paper.

4 comments:

  1. Susan, I know I tell you this lots, but I am truly amazed at your drawing talent. You have a keen eye for detail. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have creepers here, too. They are adorable little things.
    I love this one!

    Yes, I think you are smart to make more reasonable requests of yourself. Don't get bummed out when you can't keep up. Just start where you are, as Michael keeps reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The texture on top, and all the wispy feathers along the bottom - He looks SO real! When I look at it, I am half expecting him to start creeping down my computer screen. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little guy. I've seen one on one of the spruces out front, and it was so much fun to watch: scooting down the trunk headfirst gravity be damned.

    You've captured the sense of this topsy head-down view. I almost feel the vertigo.

    ReplyDelete