Sunday, January 2, 2011

#23: Black-Tailed Gnatcatcher

I decided to draw this on an ATC, Art Trading Card, which means it's all of 2.5" x 3.5"



I also drew it in really poor lighting, so let that be a lesson to me going forward. Anyway, gnatcatchers seem industrious and quirky to me. I love the buzzy whistling noise they make in the palo verde trees around here. I hardly ever know if I'm seeing a blue-gray gnatcatcher or a black-tailed gnatcatcher, and to prove that point, I was supposed to have drawn a blue-gray gnatcatcher and selected this picture, only to realize later, thanks to Randy re-examining things, that it is a black-tailed.

2 comments:

  1. They catch gnats in that tiny beak? I do well to get them with my hand.

    On such a small card, too... I guess that makes him about lifesized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life tends to resist categorization anyway, doesn't it?
    I'm terrible at identifying some species. Sparrows? Come on, have some pride. Differentiate yourselves!

    ReplyDelete